As we age, we may begin to feel that we are getting more tired, and although it may seem strange, it may also be that we are sleeping less and less, or that we have more complications sleeping.
Whether digestion wakes us up at night, we wake up in the morning with muscle aches, or hot flashes don't let us sleep, what can always help us is to have a good organization and schedule for our sleep.
The lack of sleep time in the world is growing exponentially, so it has normalized, and among young people or adults a full sleep (7 to 9 hours a day) has begun to be seen as a weakness, when in reality! it's the opposite! Good sleep has the ability to help us remember things better, strengthen our immune system, prevent mental health illnesses, concentrate better at work, and even increase our good mood.
For those who know little about sleep and its benefits, getting enough sleep might seem like a weakness, since when you wake up from a short rest period, in the best of cases a cup of coffee could solve the problem, but the truth is that Sleep deprivation could cause stress problems and in a prolonged way it could affect the functioning of our brain.
In this blog, we will be talking about some tips that could help us sleep better and deeper.
- Prioritize your sleep: If you manage to set a schedule so that every night you sleep and wake up at the same time, you will have done the most difficult thing! The easiest way for your brain and body to understand that it's time to sleep is if you make it a habit.
This way your brain will know how to adjust to it. If you fall asleep at 11:00 p.m. every day, your body will start producing melatonin at a time that suits you best, so that by 11:00 p.m. you will have enough sleep to fall asleep quickly.
- Lower the temperature: Keeping the bedroom cool will make you feel more comfortable. When the sun goes down, the body must cool itself by one degree Celsius to get a sound sleep, so it might be a good idea to open the windows if you live in a place where the nights are cool. (This way you can also avoid hot flashes waking you up!)
- Darkness and silence is everything : Light in the morning can wake you up very early, so having good curtains is never a bad idea. Noise can also harm us and get us up at night, so if you live next to an avenue or train tracks, it is recommended that you put white or pink noise on a horn when you sleep. This one works to block unwanted sounds, you'll see how it will help you sleep!
- If you wake up at night and can't get back to sleep, don't stay there too long! If 15 to 20 minutes have gone by without you getting back to sleep, it is better to get up, read a book for a few minutes, and when you feel sleepy again, go back to bed. What is true is that it is not advisable to turn on the computer or the cell phone, since the blue light they emit could trick our brain into thinking that it is daytime and becoming increasingly alert.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine : Although many think that ingesting a little alcohol helps you sleep better, the truth is that it could affect you. The same is true of caffeine, and even if you are one of those people who can ingest it and sleep shortly after, caffeine will not allow you to have a deep sleep if it is circulating in your brain.
Something that might also help you sleep better is an adjustable bed. These beds and mattresses have benefits that could help your general well-being, improving the quality of your sleep, the position in which you sleep, and even the way in which you breathe.
These beds could help those who suffer from sleep apnea, frequent snoring, or asthma, thanks to their ability to raise the chest, while also providing good support for pressure points on the coccyx and hips.
Don't miss the opportunity to get a rest system ! Click on the link to see what we can offer you in Lunela, and contemplate the ability to have a better sleep for the next 8-10 years.
5 tips to achieve a good, long and deep sleep - BBC News World. (2017). Retrieved on September 7, 2022, from https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-41776492
How lack of sleep affects our brain - Retrieved on September 7, 2022, from https://clinicanyr.com/como-afecta-la-falta-de-sueno-a-nuestro-cerebro/#:~:text= Sleeping%20 little%20decreases%20the%20attention%C3%B3n, when%20functioning%20of%20our%20brain .